Are you looking for a simple and easy dessert recipe? If you often have guests turn around at your place, then one of the best desserts that you can prepare for them is Take Five Bites. These tastes quite like the Take 5 Candy Bars and the best thing about them is that you can keep them in your fridge for about two weeks. So if you have guests coming over, you have something in your fridge to serve them instantly. Now you don’t need to waste any more time making or baking desserts when your guests arrive and most desserts don’t even keep fresh for as long as 2 weeks. So the best bet you have here is Take Five Bites and they are yummy too.
This dish will also be loved by the kids in your family or when you have some little ones visit you in the weekends. Who doesn’t love peanut butter and chocolate chips and when the two come together, it is a mind blowing combination. The good thing about using peanut butter is that it is a good source of protein. Two tablespoons of peanut butter gives you 7g of protein. But, you must ensure that you do not overdo it with peanut butter because excessive amounts can be unhealthy for your body.
Keep the intake of peanut butter in moderation and you will surely enjoy the benefits it has to offer. In addition to being a good source of protein, peanut butter is also heart friendly. Consumption in moderate amounts can actually improve heart health because it contains heart healthy monosaturated fat. Another benefit is that peanut butter is packed with nutrition. It contains Vitamin E, Vitamin B6, potassium and magnesium. All these benefits are enough for you to consider eating peanut butter in moderate amounts.
Since we are using semi sweet chocolate chips and unsalted peanuts in this dish, you don’t have to worry about excess sugar and salt. Everything is kept in moderation so you enjoy a nice and tasty dessert that is not packed with unhealthy ingredients.
Instead of using salty and unhealthy crackers, this dish includes pretzels. Pretzels are not just tasty, but they are better than most crunchy snacks you have out there. They consist of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids as well as unsaturated fat that is good for blood cholesterol and heart health in general. You can also consider using whole wheat pretzels for this recipe to increase its nutritional value.
- 30 pretzels
- 30 caramels
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- ¾ cup chocolate chips (semi sweet)
- 1 tbsp confectioners sugar
- 2 tsp shortening (optional)
- Take a baking sheet and line with parchment paper. Take the peanut butter and combine with sugar till the two are fully incorporated. Take each pretzel square and spread about 1 tsp of the mixture onto it. Sprinkle them with chopped peanuts and then freeze them for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to about 350°F. Take the pretzels from the freezer and place one caramel on top of each. After you have done this for all the 30 pretzels, place in the oven and bake until the caramels soften. This will hardly take 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and use the back of a spoon to flatten the pieces. Allow the baking sheet to cool and place it again in the freezer.
- In a small bowl, place shortening and chocolate chops. Melt it in a microwave.
- Take another baking sheet and line with wax paper. Remove the pretzel squares from the freezer. Take half tbsp of chocolate and place on the second baking sheet. Do this 30 times and then place the pretzel squares on the chocolate. Press them a little so the chocolate sticks to the pretzels.
- Fill the left over chocolate in a zip-lock bag and cut one corner of it to pour chocolate over each of the pretzels. Freeze until chocolate sets and you have your sweet and yummy Take Five Bite ready.