If you love Mexican food, you don’t have to waste tons of time and effort to prepare a hearty and delicious meal. Our Dorito Chicken Casserole is flavourful and it doesn’t even take much time to prepare. Even if you have chicken leftover from the previous night, you can shred them and use them in this recipe to make a nice and yummy meal for the family.
I got the idea to cook this recipe from a friend of mine. It was over dinner sometime back when she shared this recipe and told me that I will absolutely love it. I am not a huge fan of casserole dishes, but I decided to give this one a try. Last week, there were only four of us at home. Feeling lazy and tired, I decided to try some something simple, yet fun. I had a bag of Doritos in the kitchen and I knew I wanted to empty the entire the bag into the dish instead of munching on them that night.
I made it and the four of us enjoyed it to its last bit. This casserole dish is very easy to prepare. It was surprising that it hardly took me 45 minutes to get all the ingredients ready and bake the dish. It gets all its great flavours from fresh ingredients and taco seasoning. As you dig into the layers of seasoned chicken, cheese and tomatoes and topped with fresh tomatoes and lettuce, you will remind yourself that you are eating smart.
Make it spicy if that is the kind of food you enjoy. Sliced black olives and some green chillies will be great if you want it to be hot. Fresh homemade salsa will also go well with this dish. Even if your fridge has some extra ingredients that you need to get rid of, add them to your casserole and you will have a wonderfully delicious dinner ready in no time.
- 2 cups chicken, shredded and cooked
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend, shredded and divided
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 bag Doritos
- 1 can drained Ro-tel tomatoes
- ½ pack taco seasoning
- Diced tomatoes (optional)
- Shredded lettuce (optional)
- Preheat oven to about 350 degrees. Take a large mixing bowl and add 1 cup of cheese, milk, Ro-tel tomatoes, taco seasoning, cream of chicken soup and shredded chicken. Mix well to combine the ingredients
- Take a 2-quart casserole dish and spread a layer of Doritos (crushed) at the bottom of the dish. Now add a layer of chicken and an additional layer of Doritos. Add chicken on top and lastly spread cheese evenly. If you have some Doritos leftover, add it to the top as well.
- Cover the casserole and place it in the oven which has been preheated at 350 degrees. Bake for at least 25 minutes. Ensure the cheese is bubbling hot when you remove the dish from the oven.
- Top the casserole with shredded tomato and lettuce if desired.