If you are looking to make a simple yet comforting dish, then you must know that you can never go wrong with casseroles. One pot meals have gained enormous popularity over the years due to today’s hectic life where every one is busy with their work and career. After a hard day’s work when you come back home, you are definitely in no position to make a 3 course meal or rather a complete meal. You look for ideas that can help you save time as well as energy. This is the time when casserole meals become a real life saver. Casserole dishes are really comforting and the best part about them is that they are delicious and can be cooked with very little effort.
All you need is some basic ingredients and you are ready to make a perfectly tasty dish. With the countdown to the winter season ticking, we bring to you a recipe that you will enjoy under your covers. Creamy chicken quinoa & broccoli casserole is a dish that is so tasty and so healthy. The right choice of ingredients makes this hearty recipe a very healthy alternative to those fatty dishes that you may be tempted to have during the cold season. We all are aware of the health benefits of quinoa, but sometimes we are hesitant to include it in our meals because it just doesn’t taste good. But when you include quinoa in this meal, it not only becomes tasty, but increases the dish’s nutritional value as well. Quinoa is non-fattening, gluten free and a great source of riboflavin.
Moving on, we have included boneless, skinless chicken in this recipe. It is the most preferred choice of protein for your health and is low in fat as well. A good quantity of broccoli thrown into the dish provides a number of essential nutrients for the body. Apart from containing Vitamin A, phosphorous, zinc, iron and phyto-nutrients, broccoli also helps lower the risk of heart diseases, cancers and diabetes.
In just 45 minutes, you would have prepared a healthy and comforting dish that you can enjoy with your family and kids. Grab few sticks of garlic bread or toasted bread, a glass of milk and you are sure to enjoy this creamy chicken quinoa & broccoli casserole.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- ¼ cup grated cheese
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp seasonings
- ¼ cup cooked bacon (optional)
Prepare the Sauce
- Grease a baking dish generously enough because it can really stick to the sides of the dish. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Take a saucepan and add half cup milk and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Take the other half cup milk and mix it with flour and poultry seasoning. Add this mixture to the saucepan and whisk until a creamy sauce forms.
Assemble the Ingredients
- Take a large bowl and pour the sauce into it along with quinoa, bacon and one cup water. Pour this mixture into the already greased baking dish.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips and place them on top of the mixture in the baking dish. Sprinkle the seasoning and allow it to bake for 30 minutes. Do not cover the dish when baking.
- Prepare the broccoli by boiling the florets in water for about a minute. Run them under cold water once they turn bright green in color and set aside.
- Ensure the consistency of the casserole by removing it from the oven and stirring it around the pan. If the required consistency is not there, bake for 10 or 15 more minutes. Allow the chicken and quinoa to cook well and the sauce to thicken. Add the broccoli to the casserole and one cup water. Stir to ensure that the texture is smooth and creamy. Add grated cheese over the mixture and bake for another 5 minutes. Let the cheese melt.