Whether you are vegetarian or not, you are surely going to enjoy this delicious and healthy vegan falafel recipe. But, if you are truly vegetarian, then trust me this recipe is going to be your favorite soon. If you talk about an ideal meal, then I would say it is a combination of mashed potatoes, healthy salad and veggie patties with liberal amounts of butter. Although this kind of meal may sound simple, they are tasty and will make you happy.
Patties have always been popular and I must say that my granny used to make some of the best ones. Patties remind me of my childhood and this is one reason I have them at least once a week. I look for healthy recipes online and when I find something interesting, I try it or modify it to suit my taste. One of the best recipes I have found so far is this one.
These vegan falafels are much better than the meat ones and they taste so good. They are also easy to make and cooks very fast. So the next time you are hungry and are running late, you can try this recipe as it hardly takes 25 minutes to prepare. Use canned chickpeas because if you use dry ones then you will have to soak them overnight and then boil them for at least an hour before you can blend them. Ready to eat chickpeas can be blended straightaway and they don’t take long to cook.
You can also choose to bake them on greased baking trays. This will require very little oil as compared to shallow frying them. Remember, you don’t have to deep fry these amazing falafels for them to taste great.
You don’t need to be an expert chef to make the best falafels. Just follow these simple instructions and you are ready to go.
Cook time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Yield: 20+ falafels Ingredients:
- 2 cups canned or 1 cup dry, boiled chickpeas (use canned chickpeas if you want to make this recipe in under 25 minutes)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 diced onion
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- 4 tbsp normal or chickpea flour
- 6 cloves of garlic, mashed
- ½ tsp caraway seeds, ground
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp tahini paste
- Salt and pepper
- Take the chickpeas and blend using a food processor until a paste like consistency is achieved.
- Put the chickpea paste in a bowl and blend all the other ingredients together in the food processor except the oil. Mix the ingredients in the bowl with the chickpea taste
- Take a frying pan and heat some oil.
- Take small amounts of the mixture and fold them into patties.
- Fry the patties both sides until they are golden in color. You can also choose to bake the patties so they absorb less oil. The baking process will however take a little longer than frying.
- Line a plate with a paper towel and put the fried falafels on them so they absorb excess oil.
- Serve hot