Salmon is my absolutely favourite fish; it is not only extremely tasty and versatile to cook but really healthy too. Loving it as I do, I am always keen to try out a new salmon recipe and this one for poached salmon with salsa verde really caught my eye.
Before this I hadn’t eaten salmon poached a lot as it can tend to lack in flavour a little. I found out that this is because when poaching the water can often draw out the flavour leaving the fish bland. This recipe finds an ingenious way of getting round this; wrapping the salmon in foil and sticking it in the oven. What you end up with is a piece of fish that is not only moist and tender but also bursting with flavour. This method works but letting the salmon poach in its own juices. Make sure when wrapping it up you seal it nice and tight, like a little packet, so no juices escape.
The avocado pieces help to enhance the taste even more and the salsa verde contains just the right mix of herbs to bring the whole thing together. It is delicious either hot or cold and will impress at dinner parties. It looks so good on the plate that no one will guess how easy it was to make!
Cook time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 650g side of salmon
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 30g cilantro
- 20g flat leaf parsley
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1 avocado
- Cut a piece of foil that is a few inches longer and four times as wide as your salmon fillet.
- Scale and debone your salmon fillet and then dry the surface using paper towels.
- Rub 2 tablespoons of olive oil onto both sides of the salmon. Place it skin side down onto the foil.
- Rub the grated garlic into the salmon. On top sprinkle lemon zest, coriander powder, half a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of black pepper.
- Fold the foil around the salmon ensuring all the edges are sealed.
- Place on a baking tray and cook on the middle rack of an oven pre-heated to 120C for 25-30 minutes.
- To create the salsa verde, place into a food processor the cilantro, flat leaf parsley, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, a clove of garlic, 60ml of extra virgin oil, half a teaspoon of salt and a quarter teaspoon of white pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and then peel. Cut it into small cubes and mix with a little lemon juice.
- When serving the salmon, it can be served whole or unwrapped and cut into smaller portions. Pour on a little sauce and top with pieces of avocado.