For many years, beetroot has been trending as one of the most popular choices for healthy salads. Beet has been appearing in a number of cooking shows and used in a wide range of recipes. Beet is a classic favourite and whether it is a salad or a hamburger, it is simply not complete with beet.
According to a number of researches and studies, it is important to include beet in meals for a number of reasons. Beet offers many health benefits and this is why we have chosen a healthy salad that has beet as the hero. Salad should be an important part of your lunch and dinner. It is good if you can have a salad twice a day, but if you cannot make it due to busy schedules, then you should have it at least once a day.
Salad can keep you healthy and add nutritional value to a meal. Our roasted beet salad with feta and toasted walnuts is one the best salads you can make even when you are running late. There are two parts to this salad. One is the roasted beet part and the other is the vinaigrette part. You can make the vinaigrette in advance and store it in a jar. So whenever it’s meal time, you just have to prepare the beet. Instead of using other methods of cooking, we are going to bake the beets. Although this can take up to an hour in the oven, you are going to get tasty and yummy baked beets to add to your salad. Cheese such as feta makes any dish delicious and toasted walnuts are such a delight to have in any salad.
Walnuts are among the tastiest nuts available and when they are toasted, they become little crispy on the outside while retaining their nutty taste. You can find a nice packet of salad mix in any supermarket so make sure that you get your veggies fresh. You can even chop up some vegetables from your fridge if you did not have time to go to the supermarket. Baked beetroots taste great with toasted walnuts and feta cheese. Mixed vegetables increase the salads nutritional value while adding taste and color to the salad.
For the roasted beets
- 1 pound beets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
For the vinaigrette
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
For the salad
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 4 cups green leafy salad mix
- Preheat oven to about 425 degrees F with a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Take each beet, cut the greens and peel. Using foil, create a bowl and place the beets in this bowl. Spray olive oil to the beets and sprinkle salt and pepper. Add garlic and seal the foil.
- Put the beets on a baking sheet and bake until the beets become soft and tender. This can take up to an hour. Once cooked, remove from the oven and set aside. After the beets have cooled, chop them into smaller cubes.
- Toast walnuts in a skillet until they turn golden brown in color. Allow them to cool.
- Add mustard, sugar, salt and vinegar together and stir well. Add olive oil slowly while whisking until the mixture has emulsified.
- Take a large bowl and add beet and green leafy salad mixture together. Add half of the vinaigrette into the bowl and toss gently. In four separate plates, arrange the beet and salad mixture topped with goat cheese and toasted walnuts.