Whether you are looking to adopt a healthy lifestyle, improve your nutrition or are simply looking for a way to lose weight, salads can be your best friend. But, it is also important to ensure that you do not lace your salads with creamy dressings that are packed with high calorie ingredients or fatty ingredients. Making smart choices when it comes to preparing salads is the best way to go. In fact, smart choices can help you prepare a salad that is not only tasty, but healthy at the same time.
The good thing about this rainbow chicken salad with almond honey mustard dressing is that it has fruits as well. There is new evidence that blueberries have potential benefits for the brain health and the nervous system. Blueberries are also very rich in antioxidants, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, copper, zinc and iron all of which works to strengthen our immune systems. Another great reason for including blueberries in my salad is that they aid in reducing belly fat. Today, many women are having weighty issues and what’s most frustrating about this is that fat tends to accumulate more around the belly. Getting rid of belly fat had always been a challenge but with magic foods such as blueberries, the dream of achieving a fat belly doesn’t seem too far away.
On the other hand, there are grapes in this salad too. Grapes have a reputation of being one of the most delicious fruits. In addition, they also offer a number of health benefits which include ability to treat indigestion and constipation and prevention of cataracts. Grapes contain potassium, iron, calcium and a number of other minerals and nutrients. They are also a wonderful source of antioxidants. They ensure a healthy and an active life.
The dressing for the salad is made using almond butter. Oh so yummy that is and healthy too. It has a creamy texture just like the unhealthy and sinfully tasty dressing you buy from supermarkets, but they do not contain as much calories or are not even as unhealthy as those jars you pick at your local supermarket or grocery store. The cherry on the cake is the tangy yet sweet taste offered by homemade honey mustard. This dressing is superdelicious and once it is added to your salad, it just adds to the taste. It is simply irresistible. So now if you are looking for a change, try this healthy yet tasty rainbow chicken salad with almond and honey mustard dressing.
- 8 ounces boneless chicken breasts (cut into small and thin pieces)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cup grapes
- 3 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup almonds, crushed or chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp ground mustard
- 2 tbsp orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- 3 tbsp water
- ½ tsp garlic
- ½ tsp raw honey
- ¼ tsp salt
- Take a large skillet and heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken to the skillet along with salt, chilli powder and pepper. Sauté the ingredients for few minutes and ensure that the chicken gets a golden brown color on both sides. Remove from the heat and prepare the vegetables.
- Cut the fruits and vegetables. Cut the chicken into small cubes when it is cool enough. Arrange the salad in a bowl by ingredients or mix everything together. Keep in the refrigerator and allow the salad to chill.
- In a food processor, put all the ingredients for the dressing and make a puree. Taste and adjust if you think it lacks anything. Pour the dressing over your salad and serve.