If you are bored with your traditional steamed veggies, you can jazz up your side dish with this tasty potato and green bean salad recipe. Salads are healthy and you can do a number of things to make your salad tasty as well. Lemon juice and herbs such as thyme are a favourite when it comes to adding flavour to food. This is the reason we have retained these two ingredients in our salad. When combined with olive oil, the salad not only tastes better, but has a high nutritional value as well. In fact, these are much better than your salad dressings that contain huge amounts of fat.
Even if you are looking to lose some weight, this salad is just perfect. Since it contains potatoes which give you carbohydrates, you will not feel hungry quickly after eating it. This means you can limit your portion size and concentrate on shedding those extra kilos. Many people think that green beans do not provide colourful pigments because of their rich colour, but this is not true. According to a number of studies, green beans contain good amounts of beta-carotene, neoxanthin, violaxanthin and lutein. Actually, the amounts of carotenoids in green beans are very much similar to that in tomatoes and carrots. Because of the concentrated amounts of chlorophyll, it is not possible to see the carotenoids, but they are present making this vegetable a very healthy choice for salads.
Green beans are extremely tasty and if you support food sustainability, then you can easily grow them in your backyard and enjoy them whenever you want. The good thing is that it is easy to grow this vegetable and they also don’t take much time before you can pick them and use them in your yummy and delicious meals.
This lean vegetable is also a good source of minerals, vitamins and a range of plant derived micronutrients. They are rich in dietary fiber too. With all these benefits of eating this wonder vegetable, it is important that you include them in your dishes. Combine them with potatoes and different types of herbs and make your own potato and green bean salad. I love it and you will love it too.
Cook time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 2 pounds small potatoes, peeled
- 6 ounces green beans
- ¼ cup olive oil (extra-virgin)
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add green beans. Simmer beans for at least 3 minutes. Transfer the beans to a dish containing ice water and reserve the pot of boiling water.
- Drain the beans and pat dry. In the same pot, add potatoes and simmer for about 12 minutes or until the potatoes have become tender. Drain the water and cut the potatoes into halves.
- Take a large bowl and add mustard, thyme, olive oil and lemon juice. Whisk together and then add red onion, potatoes and beans. Toss them gently and season with course salt.