For some of us weekends are very special. This is the time we get plenty of time to spend with our families and loved ones. We enjoy every moment of it because there is no work, no stress and no waking up too early in the morning and thinking about what to wear to work today.
Weekends can offer great fun if planned right. Friends and families along with the perfect weekend menu can make every moment of it super special. Last weekend we had a small gathering at home so I decided to do something simple, but different. The best part of it was the menu. I prepared about 8 different dishes, but it didn’t take me much time. These simple and easy to prepare dishes were extremely appetizing and it was amazing to see how our weekend turned into a rocking party.
First dish on the menu list….
Pico de Gallo
It is easy to make this dish as you only have to chop 10 tomatoes, 3 jalapenos, 1 small white onion, fresh cilantro and mix with one tablespoon salt. Chill in the refrigerator and serve during meal time with tortilla chips.
- 8 Haas avocados, some pitted
- 2 limes
- Chopped cilantro
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- Sea salt
- Take the avocados and mash using a fork.
- Add onions, lime, cilantro and sea salt
- After the guacamole is done, put the pits in the guacamole to prevent it from turning green.
- 10 large tortillas made out of flour
- ¼ cup salsa
- 1 ½ blocks softened cream cheese
- 1 cup chopped vegetables such as red onion, green peppers and celery
- Dry ranch dressing mix, 1 pack
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Combine salsa, ranch mix and cream cheese together
- Spread this mixture onto the tortillas
- Top with veggies and cheddar.
- Roll the tortillas, place in a casserole dish and put it in the fridge for at least 6 hours.
- Before serving, chop the ends of the tortilla and cut them into bite size pieces. Each roll gives about 6 to 8 pieces
Chicken skewers served with cilantro cream
One of the favourite appetizers for the day was chicken skewers served with cilantro cream.
- 2 kg Chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- Lime juice
- Olive oil
- Chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients together and marinate chicken for not more than 3 hours.
- Place the pieces on skewers and cook over the grill until cooked
To prepare the cream, mix about half cup of chopped cilantro to 1 cup of sour cream. Allow it to chill for at least an hour and serve with the chicken.
Asparagus Dip and Crab
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 10 ounces frozen asparagus
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces canned crab meat
- 2 tbsp sliced green onions
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp prepared horseradish
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
- Steam asparagus in microwave
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream and asparagus together in a bowl
- Add horseradish, crag meat, green onions, cheese and mustard and mix well.
- Preheat oven to about 375 degrees
- Put everything on a baking tray and bake for about 25 minutes.
Veggies and Cheese
Cheese is very popular when it comes to parties. So for our party, I chopped up veggies some veggies topped with brie and cheddar cheese.
No one goes home without having a slice of dessert you have prepared for them. On our weekend menu, we included choc chip cookie cake. Simple thing to do is get a cake from the bakery an turn it into something special like we did to our cookie cake. We sliced it from the middle and added strawberries.
It was a lovely weekend for us and will be a great one for you too…