Due to the large population of Italian Americans across the US, Italian dishes can be a popular choice for Christmas dinner, none more so than lasagna. This recipe is a twist on a classic lasagna and features spaghetti squash making it the perfect vegetarian dining option.
The spaghetti squash is used in place of pasta sheets which creates a lighter dish although still very filling. It is also healthier than the pasta version at it has fewer carbohydrates and calories. It also gluten free meaning anyone suffering from gluten intolerance still gets to enjoy delicious lasagna. Although, if we a being picky, it is not technically a lasagna as there is no pasta but I think it’s close enough to have a little poetic license with the name!
The spaghetti squash combines beautifully with the juicy tomatoes and two cheeses and it is a meal that everyone, especially kids, loves. With this hearty, warming dish at the centre of your Christmas table you are sure to create a welcoming, contented atmosphere the whole family will enjoy.
Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 1 spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise with seeds removed
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 tbsps minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 cube of vegetable bouillon
- 15oz chopped black olives
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- Black pepper to season
- Spray a baking tray with a thin layer of cooking spray. Place the squash cut side down onto the tray.
- In an oven pre heated to 165C bake the squash for around 35 minutes or until you can easily insert a knife into it. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Whilst squash is baking spray cooking spray into a saucepan. Over a medium heat, sauté and onion and garlic. Once golden brown stir in the tomatoes, bouillon cube, basil and black pepper to season. Cook for around 15 minutes or until the sauce is of a medium thickness.
- Remove squash strands with a fork until you are left with the shells. Keep the strands for the next step.
- Layer each shell with a dollop of the sauce, then layers of spaghetti squash, olives, and mozzarella cheese. Repeat this until the shells are full or all the ingredients are used up. Top with the parmesan cheese.
In an oven at the same temperature as earlier bake for 20 minutes or until the parmesan cheese melts.